Saturday, July 27, 2013

Adding a Third to the Mix

 Well, here I am finally posting about adding our next little Skousen to the family. Less than a month later is doing ok, right? Things have seriously been crazy since little guy joined us, so be patient with me and eventually I will get caught up and then keep up. Hopefully.
Little Mark Roland Skousen joined the family right on his due date, July 3, 2013 at 11:58pm. Barely not a fourth of July baby. It was quite the long haul to get him here. Now I am going to go in to detail and vent all that jazz, so for you guys and those not wanting to know all the drama, move on to the other posts I am going to (hopefully) put up today.
A little background to the story: I really wanted to try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after C-section), but because I have had two C-sections, I ran into a LOT of resistance from those around me. Thankfully I had decided to have my friend, Heidi, be my doula (she is studying to become one and has to do 3 births in order to certify, I was her first!) and she was my main supporter and "rah rah" person to keep me pushing for what I wanted. Everything went great throughout the pregnancy except I was rather hot and uncomfortable at the end, but really who isn't by that time? The last week was the hardest. I really wanted him to come just a titch early so everything could work out the way I wanted it to, but he stayed in there. Because we were trying for a VBAC, I needed to go into labor on my own, or we would induce at exactly 40 weeks because waiting any longer really increases your chances of complications. So when I went in for my appointment on the 40 week mark, I basically told my doctor that I was having my baby that day. Thankfully (and wisely) he agreed. And the hospital wasn't busy, so we were able to go right over from the dr's office to be induced - hooray!!
So we start the IV and drugs and sit back and wait. I was at 2 cm at my appointment, which was at 9:00 am. By noon/one-ish I was still only at 3 cm. They broke my water and waited for things to get going. I got to 4 cm and then stayed stuck there for seven, nearly eight hours. It was so frustrating!! And I was getting really stressed/worried that the dr would call off the VBAC. But, luck was on our side. I had a great doctor who was willing to keep going as long as the baby was doing well and as long as I was game. I had some little issues (seemed huge at the time) like my IV being in a horrible spot and hurting, I had to stay on my right side the entire time or else baby would start dropping his heart rate, I had to get a second epidural because the first came out, the catheter they placed wasn't taped in place at first, so was being tugged = lots of pain, I started throwing up after the second epidural was placed.....stuff like that. But I knew that as long as baby was behaving, I could put up with anything.
Finally I started to progress!! In an hour and a half I went from a 4 to a 6. And then an hour later I was at a 10!! This was going to happen! Also a blessing in disguise is because I had been taking so long to dilate, I had a new nurse when it actually came time to deliver and the second nurse was AMAZING!!! SO glad I had her! The doctor was called about 11:30 and we started pushing around 11:45 or so. I thought there was no way this baby was going to come before midnight, but after four pushes I was resting and the contraction pushed baby boy the rest of the way out! Mark Roland Skousen was born at 11:58pm on July 3. He was 8 pounds 3 ounces and 21 1/4 inches long. We opted to wait until the umbilical cord stopped pulsating before cutting, so the above picture is of me holding him on my chest, bonding for a few minutes before he was whisked away to be cleaned up more.
I cannot describe the amazing difference between a vaginal birth and a C-section delivery. I got to HOLD my baby immediately. After the cord was cut and him cleaned up, we were able to breastfeed right away and boy could he eat!! With Amy it was such a struggle to coax her to eat, but this guy came out hungry and knew just what to do. Even now three weeks later I am amazed at how easy and fast the process is compared to how it was with Amy!!
Because Mark came so fast, I did have to have stitches, but other than that, I felt amazing!! I did get sore nipples at first because he nursed so well. But by the time I left the hospital (first thing on Friday morning), I was barely taking Ibuprofen for the discomfort, I wouldn't even call it pain. Such a huge difference!!!
Mark is a wonderful baby and the cutest little guy! Sam has really taken a liking to his new baby brother and loves to help soothe him when he fusses and wipe his face when he spits up. It is so touching to watch the tenderness Sam can show to both his brother and his sister. There are times when I am so tired and get frustrated with Amy and Sam will come up and comfort his sister and make everything all better. It melts my heart. And Amy now recognizes any time she is holding "baby boy" as picture time :) They are both starting to really adjust well.
 Our doula, Heidi, holding Mark just after he was born.
 Mark Roland Skousen
Everyone came to visit and meet the latest model the next morning

2 comments:

  1. I am so, so happy that you were able to do the VBAC you wanted! I hope my doctor will be as patient as yours, because I'm not feeling super hopeful at this point. But seriously, I'm just so happy for you! And what a sweet little family you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What a handsome little boy! AND great job doing a VBAC! That is so awesome. I hired a doula for Nolen's birth and it was the best decision I ever made. I felt like I could actually make it through the birth without drugs. So empowering! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete